Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Tall Spruce Bed & Breakfast

Last July, I decided to go on a bike tour from Mississauga to Picton, ON. The half-way point i decided on was Port Hope, Ontario - a quiet little town about 170 km bike ride from my home in Mississauga. It's just south of the 401 if you're coming through by car and just on the edge of Lake Ontario.

Having never attempted doing a bike ride of a distance more than 80 km, I decided that camping after a 170 km bike ride was a little out of the question. I needed some place that had a comfortable bed to sleep in and a pleasant atmosphere. Also, after a ridiculously long bike ride the statement on their website "no climbing of stairs is required" was certainly an appealing feature.

As I was heading east, I was very happy to discover that the Tall Spruce Bed and Breakfast was near the town's west edge. Having exhausted pretty much all of my energy I was very happy to arrive. The owner Tom and his family were there that evening, just starting up the barbeque and invited me to join. After busting my butt for the last 10 hours (i'm no Tour de France candidate at this point in my cycling career) it was so nice to be able to relax and be treated as a member of the family.

The house was very beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The hosts were pleasant, friendly and very willing to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. On top of it all, the house is air conditioned and the breakfast is included. I stayed in the Carrara room. It was very reasonably priced at only $90 (the largest room with the private bathroom is only $120).

If you're coming in by bicycle from Toronto - it's on Lakeshore road - the one that you'd already be following to get into the town. After a long ride is was very reassuring to see the tall spruce trees out front and know that my day of cycling was at an end. Coming in from the 401 - take the Toronto Road exit toward Port Hope and follow that until you get to the stop lights at Lakeshore road and make a right.

I thought the Tall Spruce Bed and Breakfast was a great place to stay, and fully intend to stay there the next time I find myself stopping through Port Hope.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also decided to stay at The tall spruce B&B but unfortunatly my expirience was way different the Lady-owner Linda Hopper seamed to busy. very spaced-out kind out unorganized with her own self the place was a stuffy old house and do not plan to stay or reccomend the place to anyone even embarrased to say to friends and family that I actually stayed there.

Back in 2007

April 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home